Caring for Silver Jewelry
- Silver is resistant to scratches but silver is not scratchproof
- Do not place your silver in chlorine
- Do not expose your silver to intense light or blown air for prolonged periods of time
- Clean your silver with pads, felt or cloths that are specifically made for cleaning silver
- Avoid using tissue, abrasive mediums and liquid cleaners which can bleach silver jewelry
Storing Jewelry Many gemstones can scratch gold, platinum and silver.
- Keep your jewelry away from sunlight as the sun could fade the gemstones
- Store in a safe place, keep your jewelry away from the sink and bath drains
- Store away from heater/air conditioning vents
- To minimize tarnishing, consider storing your jewelry in airtight plastic bags
Caring for Costume Jewelry Gently wipe your jewelry with a clean, soft, damp cloth. After cleaning, dry with an absorbent cloth. After cleaning, lay out your jewelry to dry on a towel for an extended period of time.
- Avoid hot water
- Do not expose to extreme heat
- Avoid ultrasonic cleaners
- Avoid soaking in water
- Do not expose to cleaning agents or chemicals
- Avoid steam
Using a Damp Cloth Take a soft flannel cloth and dampen with warm water and wipe the jewelry. This works well for cleaning amber, ivory, jet, pearl strands and other delicate organic gems. Using a Bowl of Soapy Water Same as above, but for a few minutes, soak your jewelry in a small bowl of warm water with a little dishwashing liquid added. Using a soft facial brush, or a cosmetic brush (like the type used to apply eye shadow), brush gently. This works well for cleaning a pearl ring, and jewelry set with coral, lapis lazuli, malachite, turquoise and similar stones. Why Clean Jewelry?
- Soap scum, hair, dirt, skin and grease all collect into crevasses beneath gemstones
- Many skin rashes due to an accumulation of unwanted dirt on jewelry can be avoided
- It is recommended that jewelry that is inherited or pre-owned be cleaned and inspected for repair prior to being worn by its new owner
- To look it’s absolute best, jewelry should be cleaned regularly. CZ’s and gemstones are as beautiful as they are because of the way they reflect light, and jewelry cleaning is the best way to maintain this
- Skin oil, soap, grease or hand lotion will drastically decrease the brilliance of your jewelry. Cleaning will alleviate the problem.